The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Department of Anesthesiology
The Department of Anesthesiology

Cardiovascular Anesthesiology

Compassionate Care While You Sleep


The Cardiovascular Anesthesiology Service in this program consists of rotations at two renowned hospitals, Memorial Hermann (MHH) and St. Luke’s-Texas Heart Institute (THI). Residents rotate at one or both of these institutions during their CA-2 and/or CA-3 years.

Memorial Hermann Hospital currently has five designated cardiovascular operating rooms, including one pediatric cardiac room. As of 2003, the case load included 1817 cardiovascular/thoracic cases, including 261 aortocoronary bypass (ACB) cases and 440 ‘pump’ cases. MHH is a referral center for thoracic abdominal aortic aneurysm cases, which are included in the ‘pump’ case numbers.

THI is an internationally recognized leader in cardiovascular cases. Currently, their case load includes approximately 1400 cardiopulmonary bypass cases annually, of which 65% are aortocoronary bypasses (ACBs). The remaining 35% are a mix of cardiac valvular surgery, ventricular assist devices (RVAD/LVAD/BIVAD), aortic aneurysms (ascending/descending/arch), thoracic surgery (occasional pneumonectomy, mostly lobectomies) and transplants (heart, liver, kidney and occasionally lung).

Finally, CA-3 residents may electively rotate for a month at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Thoracic surgery. This rotation consists primarily of 3-5 lobectomy/pneumonectomy cases each day, and remains an extremely popular, coveted and valuable rotation.