Paul G. Loubser, M.B., Ch.B.
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Undergraduate Degree
Junior and Senior Certification, South African College School, Cape Town, South Africa, 1967–1970
- Medical Degree
M.B.,Ch.B., University of Cape Town School of Medicine , Cape Town, South Africa, 1972–1977
Provincial Administration Hospitals, Cape Town/Port Elizabeth/Johannesburg, South Africa, 1978–1979
Anesthesiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Affiliated Hospitals, Bronx, New York, 1980–1983
Cardiovascular Anesthesiology Fellowship, Texas Heart Institute , Houston, Texas, 1984–1985
- Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Houston, Texas, 1993–2000
- Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation/Anesthesiology, Houston, Texas, 1985–1992
- American Board of Anesthesiology Diplomate, 1991
- Recertification, American Board of Anesthesiology, 2004
- Diplomate, Advanced Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography, National Board of Echocardiography, 2000
- Echocardiography, National Board of Echocardiography, 2010
- Health Care Quality Management Diplomate, Patient Safety and Risk Management, American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians, 2006
- Fort Bend Medical Society, Secretary-Treasurer, 2009–Present
- Texas Medical Association, Delegate, 2011–Present
- Texas Society of Anesthesiology
- Professional Development Committee, 2006–Present
- Leadership Development Committee, 1993–1995
- American Society of Anesthesiology
- Committee on Rural Access to Anesthesia Care, 2007–2010
- ASA Meeting Sub-Committee on Neuromuscular Transmission, 2000
- Abstract Reviewer: Neuromuscular Function, 2000
- Society for the Advancement of Blood Management
- Newsletter Editor-in-Chief, 2008–2010
- Research and Development Committee, 2007–2011
- Chair, Educational Content Action Group, 2006–2007
- Communications Committee, 2006–2010
- Education Committee, 2006–2010
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Discussant, Poster Session, Inflammatory Response to Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Annual Meeting Education Committee, 1998
- International Association for the Study of Pain, Task Force on Spinal Cord Injury Pain, Education Committee, 1998–1999
- Loubser, P.G., Murphy, G.S., and Shander, A.: Case 3-2008: The use of acute normovolemic hemodilution during cardiac surgery in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 22:474-81, 2008.
- Loubser, P.G.: Management of difficult endotracheal intubation and challenging transesophageal echocardiography probe insertion in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis. J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 22: 273-6, 2008.
- Rintala, D.H, Holmes, S.A., Courtade, D., Fiess, R.N., Tastard, L.V, and Loubser, P.G.: Comparison of the effectiveness of amitriptyline and gabapentin on chronic neuropathic pain in persons with spinal cord injury. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 88:1547-60, 2007.
- Loubser, P.G., and Chan, A.: Prediction of the effect of acute normovolemic hemodilution on the hematological constituents of sequestered autologous whole blood. Anesth. Analg. 102:991-997, 2006.
- Rintala, D.H, Holmes, S.H., Fiess, R.N., Courtade, D., and Loubser, P.G.: Prevalence and characteristics of chronic pain in veterans with spinal cord injury. J. Rehabil. Res. Dev. 42:573–584, 2005.
- Loubser, P.G., Morell, R.I., and Loubser, I.A.: Impact of extracorporeal circuit prime volume reduction on whole blood sequestration during acute normovolemic hemodilution for adult cardiac surgery patients. J. Extra. Corpor. Technol. 36:329-335, 2004.
- Loubser, P.G.: An unusual transesophageal echocardiographic finding during femoral embolectomy. J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 18:809-11, 2004.
- Loubser, P.G., Stoltz, S.M., Schmoker, J.D., Bonifacio, F., Battle, R.W., Marcus, S., Krumholz, C.F., Moskowitz, D.M., Shander, A., and Lemmer, J.H. Jr.: Blood conservation strategies in Jehovah's Witness patients undergoing complex aortic surgery: A report of 3 cases. J. Cardiothor. Vasc. Anesth. 17: 528-535, 2003.
- Fung, M., Loubser, P.G., Undar, A., Mueller, M., Sun, C., and Sun, W.N., Vaughn, W.K, Fraser CD: Inhibition of complement, neutrophil, and platelet activation by an anti-factor D monoclonal antibody in simulated cardiopulmonary bypass circuits. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 122:113-122, 2001.
- Loubser, P.G. and Mangold, N.: Use of ANH as a blood conservation modality: Survey of academic anesthesiology centers in the United States. Am. J. Anesthesiol. 28: 89-94, 2001. (Article accompanied by editorial: Jahr J, ANH: A wise choice or just extra work? 28: 76, 2001.)
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street,
Houston, Texas 77030
- Paul G. Loubser, M.B., Ch.B.
- Assistant Professor
- The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 5.020
Houston, Texas 77030
- phone: (713) 500-6209
fax: (713) 500-0528