Since its founding in 2004, the McGovern Center has filled a unique and important gap in medical school and health professions education. Today, we strive to:
- Strengthen the medical profession's tradition of service, integrity, and compassionate care;
- Aid students, residents, and faculty in developing a humane professionalism that guides and sustains their work;
- Encourage respect and collaboration among different professions on the health care team;
- Engage in research on human values and spiritual growth in educating health professionals to care for patients and to promote public health;
- Create a national model that guides other academic health centers in developing programs for students' moral and spiritual growth, and for collaborative and compassionate care;
- Create programs that assist health care organizations in building meaning-centered work for all employees by linking individual growth to organizational change.