Our Graduates and Their Research
Each year, fourth-year students complete a research project exploring a topic of their choosing related to the medical humanities. Past research projects include:
Graduates of 2013
- Akila Amsavelu, "The Inheritance of Unhappy: A Short Story"
- Kara Keuthan Beatty, "Self-Care Plan to Reduce Burnout in Medical School and Beyond"
- Christian Anthony Burton, "Hanging on by a Wire"
- Katie Canalichio, "Ambiguous Genitals in the Newborn"
- Rachel O'Neal Cavenaugh, "The Healing Art of Music"
- Meghan Elissa Dupre, "Harmony in Holistic Healing: Music's Role in Pediatric Development and Therapy"
- Jai Chetan Gandhi, "A Reevaluation of Attitudes"
- Azure Gail Greeson, "No One Emerges from an Egg a Polished Surgeon"
- Emily Christina Grimshaw, "American Beauty: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
- Mary Saber Guirguis, "The Decline of Empathy in Medical Education: Trends, Causes, and Potential Remedies"
- Alicia Hernandez, "Death in Life: A Photographic Exploration of Houston Cemeteries"
- Rachelle Marie Jones, "The Impact of a Child's Neurodevelopmental Disorder on the Marital Relationship"
- Alan Taylor Kelley, "Healthcare as a Human Right in the United States: How Healthcare Reform is Shifting Our Nation's Stance"
- Tyler Kimm, "Psychiatric Abuse in the West in the Twentieth Century"
- Micah James Knobles, "Psychiatry and Its Discontents: Looking at Psychiatry and Antipsychiatry with Anton Chekov's Ward 6"
- Zachary Wade Marshall, "Creative Writing: The Fiction Novella"
- Zane Martindale, "A Comparison of the US and Taiwanese Health Care Systems"
- Meghan Alexandra McIntosh, "Bridging the Gap: An Approach to Physician Focused Narrative"
- Margaret Leslie Pfeiffer, "Making People Forget that You Are Blind"
- Reem Sabouni, "Erosion of Empathy in the Clinical Years"
- Yusra Siddiqui, "Identifying Barriers and Perceptions of Healthcare in the South Asian Community"
- Agathe Streiff, "Trends in Enrollment of Women in Medical School"
- Thida Thant, "'The Big Black Cloud' Or...Stigmatization and Misperceptions of Mental Illness"
- Emily Turner, "Untenable: Moral Musings of an Almost-Doctor in the Era of Modern Medicine"
- Mini Grace Varughese, "Spirituality as a Component of Healing in Modern Medical Practice"
- Blake Motley Watts, "Reflections on Social Determinants of Health"
- Lisa Evans Weiss, "Pressure and Altitude: A Skydiver's Guide to Burnout Prevention"
Graduates of 2012
- Katyln K. Atwater, "Art as a Tool to Understand Perceptions of Aging"
- Kyle Brown, "Spirituality in Medicine"
- Jeffrey W. Davis, "Through a Glass Darkly: Schizophrenia as Portrayed in Four Popular Motion Pictures"
- Stephen M. Fisher, "Comments on the Medical Expert Witness"
- Andrew Kirkpatrick, "On Photography and Medicine"
- Kristin Luong, "The Placebo Effect on Pain"
- Julie Mani, "Art and Medicine"
- Jeffrey McCreight, "The Heart of Medicine"
- Melissa Medley, "Women Physicians and Their Relationships"
- Steven Napierkowski, "Four Short Stories"
- Melody V. Perez, "The Vaccine-Hesitant Patient"
- Rebecca Perin, "Identifying, Counseling, and Preventing Bullying"
- Bryan Van Pham, "Take Two Ha's by Mouth Twice a Day"
- Claire Poche, "Non-hazardous, Unregulated Medical Solid Waste"
- Preethi Ramchand, "Musings of a Medical Student"
- Jolian M. Rios Palacio, "The Guatemalan Syphilis Studies"
- Ashley Kay Smallwood, "Women in Medicine: Anesthesiology"
- Brittany Solar, "Medical Spanish Project"
- David Spak, "Medical Propaganda and the Influence of Images"
- Lauren D'Angelo Weaver, "The Role of Play in Development and Diagnosis
Graduates of 2011
Photograph courtesy of Eugene Boisaubin
- Jacqueline Denise Alcala, "Happiness in Medicine"
- Michelle Rose Christie, "History of Vaccines and Autism"
- Jed A. Hummel, "Predictable Irrationality in Radiology"
- Judson Merritt, "Eudaimonistic Scientia: An Empirical Future for Normative Ethics?"
- Saint-Aaron L. Morris, "The Osler-Cushing Relationship: A Historical Lesson in Mentorship"
- Raphael Ezera Nwojo, "International Medical Research with a Focus on Informed Consent"
- Ashley Robin Roberts, "What is a Picture Really Worth?: Radiation Protection in the Context of the Overuse of Medical Imaging"
- Kyle C. Walker, "The Psychology of Crisis: Cases from Narrative"
- Nathan Wright, "The Art of Teaching in Medical Education: Reflections of a Medical Student"
Graduates of 2010
Photograph courtesy of Eugene Boisaubin
- Isaac Chua, "Appreciative Inquiry of the Medical Humanities Certificate Program"
- Marie Frando, "The Intersection of Integrative and Physical Rehabilitation Medicine"
- Timothy Fuller, "Failure to Communicate"
- Elizabeth R. C. Geddes, "The Hairy Truth: A Look into the Role of Hair in the Construction of Identity"
- John Heydemann, "Art and Anatomy: The Works of Andreas Vesalius, and Art in Orthopaedic Surgery"
- Felicity Kelly, "Primary Care: Where Has It Been and Where Is It Headed?"
- Kristin Leverett, "Shades of Gray: Uncertainty in Memory Recovery Therapy"
- Kendell Sowards, "Sapere Vedere"
- Lindsey Styles, "So Close, at Arm's Length: A Look at the Physician-Patient Relationship in Rural Practice"
- Joseph Tayar, "Tippin the Scale"
Graduates of 2009
- Andrea Glaser, "The Disconnect Between Physician Communication and Patient Understanding and Action"
- John Griffin, "Dermatological Patient Encounters: Reflection and Discussion"
- Lindsey King, "Empathy and the Medical Humanities"
- Meghan Magley, "Decision Making with Mature Minors in Psychiatry"
- Stacy Norrell, "Death in Medicine"
- Eira Roth, "Doctoring Death: A Play in One Act"
- Lilit Sargsyan, "Medical Student Wellness"
- Katherine Vu, "A Medical Student Primer for Community Activism"
Graduates of 2008
- Kathryn Burk, "Suffering"
- David Fetzer, "Humanism and the Medical Image"
- Marissa Jennings, "A Story of Burnout"
- Alaina Johnson, "A Survey on the Role of Religion and Spirituality in Gynecologic Oncologists"
- Joseph Lockridge, "A History of Health Care Reform and Art in Twentieth Century America"
- Eileen Merkle-Stewart, "Photography and Grieving in the Death of a Child"