Program Event Announcements
Each year, students participating in the program are required to attend at least 5 events.
- Tuesday, April 22 — The Medical Humanities & Ethics Program will host its Spring Happy Hour beginning at 6:30 pm at Trevisio. Students and applicants of the Program are encouraged to attend this social outing.
- Thursday, April 24 — Rice's Center for the Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality will present its next Gray/Wawro Lecture from 6:00-7:30 pm in McMurtry Auditorium in Duncan Hall. Jennifer S. Hirsch, Professor and Deputy Chair for Doctoral Studies in the Department of Sociomedical Sciences in the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, will present "The Inevitability of Infidelity: Gender, Sexuality, and Marriage as a Risk Factor for HIV Infection." More details about the lecture and Dr. Hirsch can be found here.
- Friday, April 25 - Saturday, April 26 — The Rice Humanities Research Center will host a closing conference for the "Materialism and New Materialism Across the Disciplines" series. The conference will be held in the Founders Room at Lovett Hall. Additional details will be made available soon.
- Friday, May 9 - Saturday, May 10 — Visual Image and the Future of the Medical Humanities is the focus of an upcoming conference co-sponsored by the Institute for Medical Humanities at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Honors College at the University of Houston, and the Art & Design Research Institute at the University of Ulster, Belfast. Presentations and discussions will address the role of visual images in the medical humanities. The conference will begin on Friday afternoon and conclude on Saturday afternoon at the Open Gates Conference Center, located at 2419 Sealy Ave near 25th and Broadway in Galveston. Online advance and on-site registration is available. More details can be found here as can abstracts of the presentations.
- Saturday, May 10 — The Institute for Spirituality and Health presents, "Balancing Medicine and Marriage/Family Life." The interactive seminar is scheduled from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm at 8100 Greenbriar, Suite 220. This event will count as two for program students. Although the event is free to attend, an RSVP is requested. Flyer
- Tuesday, May 27 — The Medical Humanities Program will celebrate the accomplishments of our graduates of the Class of 2014 at the Annual Medical Humanities Graduation Banquet. The event will be held at Trevisio Restaurant from 6:00-8:00 pm. All current students of the program are invited to attend. Save the Date.
For more information or to notify the Program Coordinator of event attendance, contact Angela.Polczynski@uth.tmc.edu
Archive of Past Events →