Articles and Publications
Articles and Essays
- Spike, J.P. "Care versus Treatment at the End of Life for Profoundly Disabled Persons," Journal of Clinical Ethics, 23(1): 79-83, Winter 2012
- Spike, J.P. "Anesthesiological Ethics: Can Informed Consent be Implied?" Journal of Clinical Ethics, 23(1): 68-70, Winter 2012
- Spike, J.P. "Quality of Life and Elective C-Sections: Defining Limits to Maternal and Family Interests." Journal of Clinical Ethics. 252-255, Fall 2012.
- Spike, J.P. "Do Clinical Ethics Consultants Have a Fiduciary Responsibility to the Patient?" American Journal of Bioethics, 12(8): 13-15, Aug 2012.
- Brenner, G., Kueppenbender, K.D., Mao, J., Spike, J.P. "Ethical Challenges and Interventional Pain Medicine." Current Pain and Headache Reports, 16(1): 1-8, Feb 2012.
- Spike, J.P. "Ethics Consultation Process," Chapter in Committed to Ethics: Education and Guidance for Healthcare Ethics Committee Members, D. Micah Hester and Toby Schonfeld, eds., Cambridge University Press, 2012. pp. 41-47.
- Spike, J. Assessment of Decision-Making Capacity. In Reichel's Care of the Elderly, 6th edition. Aronson, C. & Brummel-Smith, K., eds. New York: Cambridge University Press, 487-494, 2009.
- Aulisio, M., Spike, J., et al. ASBH Task Force White Paper: Improving Competencies in Clinical Ethics Consulation: An Education Guide. 2009
- Dubler, N., Spike, J., et al. Charting the Future: Credentialing, Privileging, Quality, and Evaluation in Clinical Ethics Consultation. Hastings Center Report, 39(6), 23-33, 2009.
- Spike, J. Resolving the Vexing Question of Credentialing: Finding the Aristotelian Mean. HEC Forum, Oct, 263-273, 2009.
- Spike, J., & Rousso, J. Starchild Cherrix: Negotiating about Religious Beliefs and Complementary and Alternative Medicine. MedEdPortal, 2009.
- Spike, J., & Sain, C. Wit: Teaching about Death, Dying, Clinical Trials, and DNR. MedEdPortal, 2009.
- Carlin, N., & Capps, D. Consciousness, the Vegetative State, and the Intrinsic Value of Life. Pastoral Psychology, 57, 223-234, 2009.
- Carlin, N. The Hospital Room As Uncanny: Psychoanalytic Observations and Recommendations for Pastors and Chaplains. Pastoral Psychology, 58, 27-42, 2009.
- Cole, T., & Carlin, N. The Suffering of Physicians. The Lancet, 374(9699), 1414-1415, 2009.
- Cole, T., & Carlin, N. Faculty Health and the Crisis of Meaning: Humanistic Diagnosis and Treatment. In Faculty Health in Academic Medicine: Physicians, Scientists, and the Pressures of Success. Cole, T., Goodrich, T. J., & Gritz, E. R., eds. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 147-164, 2009.
- Spike, J., & Carlin, N. Promoting Physician Stress Resilience When Facing Ethical Dilemmas, Book Chapter.
Posters and Presentations
- Carlin, N., Flaitz, C., McWherter, J., & Bebermeyer, R. "How to Implement an Interprofessional Ethics Curriculum: Practical Guidance for Dental Educators and Administrators from a Program-in-Progress." American Dental Education Association National Meeting, March 14, 2011.
- Flaitz, C., Willcockson, I., & Carlin, N. "Interprofessional Ethics Education for Dental Students and Dental Hygiene Students: Student Perception versus Student Performance." American Dental Education Association National Meeting, March 15, 2011.