Our faculty and staff are in the forefront of the exploration of the causes and treatments of mental illness.
Joy M. Schmitz, Ph.D.
Joy M. Schmitz received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Auburn University and completed her residency training at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in 1988, before joining the University of Texas-Houston faculty in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. She was promoted to Professor with tenure in 2000. Since 1995, she has served as Director of the Treatment Research Clinic of the Medication Development Center at UT-Houston, a Research Center of Excellence funded by the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA). Over the years, she has been Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on numerous grants aimed at the development and evaluation of treatments for substance use disorders using behavior therapy and pharmacotherapy. As a Licensed Psychologist, Dr. Schmitz is active in the training, delivery and supervision of psychotherapy using evidence-based techniques for the treatment of opiate, cocaine, alcohol and nicotine dependence. She is the author of over 90 peer-reviewed publications as well as book chapters and scientific presentations. Dr. Schmitz is a member of the American Psychological Association (APA), Division of Addictions, and a member of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT).
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Treatment of substance use disorders using behavior therapy and pharmacotherapy.
- Randomized clinical trials of new medication and psychotherapy for the treatment of drug and alcohol dependence.
- Schmitz, J.M., Lindsay, J.A., Stotts, A.L., Green, C.E., Moeller, F.G.: Contingency management and levodopa-carbidopa for cocaine treatment: A comparison of three behavioral targets. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 18, 238-244, 2010.
- Brown, E.S., Carmody, T.J., Schmitz, J.M., Caetano, R., Adinoff, B., Swann, A.C., Rush, .A.J.: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of naltrexone in outpatients with bipolar disorder and alcohol dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33, 1863-1869, 2009.
- Schmitz, J.M., Lindsay, J.A., Green, C.E., Herin, D.V., Stotts, A.L., Moeller, F.G.: High-dose naltrexone therapy for cocaine-alcohol dependence. The American Journal on Addictions, 18, 1-7, 2009.
- Schmitz, J.M., Mooney, M.E., Green, C.E., Lane, S.D., Steinberg, J.L., Swann, A.C., Moeller, F.G.: Baseline neurocognitive profiles differentiate abstainers and non-abstainers in a cocaine clinical trial. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 28, 250-257, 2009.
- Moeller, F.G., Schmitz, J.M., Herin, D., Kjome, K.: Use of stimulants to treat cocaine and methamphetamine abuse. Curr Psychiatry Rep, 10, 385-91, 2008.
- Schmitz, J.M., Mooney, M. E., Moeller, F. G., Stotts, A. L., Green, C., Grabowski, J.: Levodopa pharmacotherapy for cocaine dependence: Choosing the optimal behavioral therapy platform. Drug Alchol Depend, 94, 142-150, 2008.
- Moeller, F.G., Schmitz, J.M., Steinberg, J.L., Green, C.M., Reist, C., Lai, L.Y., Swann, A.C., Grabowski, J. Citalopram combined with behavioral therapy reduces cocaine use and craving: A double-blind, placebo controlled trial. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 33, 367-378, 2007.
- Schmitz, J.M., Stotts, A.L., Mooney, M.E., DeLaune, K.A., & Moeller, F.G.: Bupropion and cognitive-behavioral therapy for smoking cessation in women. Nicotine & Tobacco Dependence, 9, 699-710, 2007.
- Gonzalez, V.M., Schmitz, J.M., DeLaune, K.A.: The role of homework in cognitive behavioral therapy for cocaine dependence. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 74, 633-637, 2006.
- Schmitz, J.M., Sayre, S.L., Stotts, A.L., Rothfleisch, J., Mooney, M.E.: Medication compliance during a smoking cessation clinical trial: A brief intervention using MEMS feedback. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 28, 139-147, 2005.
- Schmitz, J.M.: Smoking cessation in women with cardiac risk. Am J Med Sci, 32, 1-5, 2003.
- Schmitz, J.M., Stotts, A.L., Sayre, S.L., & DeLaune, K.A.: Treatment of cocaine-alcohol dependence with naltrexone and relapse prevention therapy. The American Journal on Addictions, 13, 333-341, 2004.
- Stotts, A.L., Schmitz, J.M., & Grabowski, J.: Concurrent treatment for alcohol and nicotine dependence: Are patients ready to quit both? Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 69, 1-7, 2003.
- Schmitz, J.M., Averill, P., Sayre, S., McCleary, P., Moeller, F.G., & Swann, A.: Cognitive-behavioral treatment of bipolar disorder and substance abuse: A preliminary randomized study. Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment, 1, 17-24, 2002.
- Schmitz, J.M., Averill, P.M., Stotts, A.L., Moeller, F.G., Rhoades, H.M., & Grabowski, J.: Fluoxetine treatment of cocaine-dependent patients with major depressive disorder. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 63, 207-214, 2001.
Location & Contact Info
Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences Building
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
713.486.2525 New Patients
Our affiliates include the following: