Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street,
Houston, Texas 77030
PO Box 20708,
Houston, Texas 77225
The C.I.R.C.L.E. Pre-Kindergarten Assessment Content
Introduction: Monitoring pre-kindergarten children’s development in areas that are crucial to their future learning can often be difficult. Added to this is the fact that it remains controversial as to what methods are best to teach these children, and the plethora of products claiming to possess the best method. There exists a need for a reliable, scientifically backed method to assess where a given child is with regard to development of learning skills.
The Technology: Authors at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston’s Children’s Learning Institute have developed an assessment program to monitor the progress of children and teachers in the pre-kindergarten context. The assessment can be administered either in a paper pencil format, via a wireless device, or via a laptop.
Contents of the Work: The C.I.R.C.L.E. Pre-Kindergarten Assessment Content has the following components:
1. Rapid Letter Naming, (available in both Spanish and English)
2. Rapid Vocabulary Naming, (available in both Spanish and English)
3. Phonological Awareness, (available in both Spanish and English)
4. Social Measures
5. The CIRCLE Manual Checklist
6. Teacher’s Behavior Checklist
7. CIRCLE Math Assessment (to be added shortly)
Author(s): Susan Gunnewig, Linda Assell, Paul Swank, and Susan Landry.