- Actor, JK, Hwang, SA, Olsen, M, Zimecki, M, Hunter, RL, Jr., Kruzel, ML. Lactoferrin Immunomodulation of DTH Response in Mice. International Immunopharmacology. 2002; 2(4):475-486.
- Hwang SA, Dasgupta A, Actor JK. Cytokine production by non-adherent mouse splenocyte cultures to Echinacea extracts. Clin Chim Acta. 2004 343(1-2):161-6.
- Hwang, SA., Kruzel, M.L., Actor, JK. Lactoferrin Augments BCG Vaccine Efficacy to Generate T Helper Response and Subsequent Protection against Challenge with Virulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Intern Immunopharm. 2005; 5(3):591-599.
- Borders, C.W., Courtney, A., Ronen, K., Laborde-Lahoz, M.P., Guidry, T.V., Hwang, SA., Olsen, M., Hunter, R.L. Jr., Hollman, T.J., Wetsel, R.A., Actor, JK. Requisite Role for Complement C5 and the C5a Receptor in Granulomatous Response to Mycobacterial Glycolipid Trehalose 6,6'-Dimycolate. Scand J. Immunol. 2005; 62:123-130.
- Hwang, SA., Wilk, K.M., Bangale, Y.A., Kruzel, M.L., Actor, J.K. Lactoferrin Modulation of IL-12 and IL-10 Response from Activated Murine Leukocytes. Medical Microbiology and Immunology. 2007. 196(3):171-80.
- Wilk KM, Hwang SA, Actor JK. Lactoferrin modulation of antigen-presenting-cell response to BCG infection. Postepy Hig Med Dosw. Advances in Hygiene and Experimental Medicine 2007; 61:277-82.
- Hwang, SA., Wilk, K.M., Budnicka, M., Olsen, M., Bangale, Y.A., Hunter, R.L., Kruzel, M.L., Actor, J.K. Lactoferrin enhanced efficacy of the BCG vaccine to generate host protective responses against challenge with virulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Vaccine. 2007; 25(37-38):6730-43.
- Clement-Kruzel S, Hwang SA, Kruzel MC, Dasgupta A, Actor JK.Immune modulation of macrophage pro-inflammatory response by goldenseal and Astragalus extracts. J Med Food. 2008 Sep;11(3):493-8.
- Welsh, K.J., Abbott, A.N., Hwang, SA., Indrigo, J., Armitige, L.Y., Blackburn, M.R., Hunter, R.L., Actor, J.K. A Role for Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha, Complement C5 and Interleukin-6 in the Initiation and Development of the Mycobacterial Cord Factor Trehalose 6,6’-Dimycolate Induced Granulomatous Response Microbiology-UK(SGM). 2008; 154(Pt 6):1813-24.
- Hwang SA, Kruzel, ML, Actor, JK. Influence of bovine lactoferrin on expression of presentation molecules on BCG-infected bone marrow derived macrophages. Biochimie. 2009; 91-76-85.
- Hwang SA, Wilk K, Kruzel ML, Actor JK.A novel recombinant human lactoferrin augments the BCG vaccine and protects alveolar integrity upon infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis in mice. Vaccine. 2009;27(23):3026-34.
- Actor, JK, Hwang, SA, Kruzel, ML. Lactoferrin as a Natural Immune Modulator. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2009; 15(17): 1956-1973.
- Hwang SA and Actor JK. Lactoferrin modulates BCG infected dendritic cell functions. International Immunology; 2009; 21:1185-1197.
- Hwang S-A, Arora R, Kruzel ML, Actor JK. Lactoferrin adjuvant enhances efficacy of the BCG vaccine, comparison between two inbred mice strains (C57BL/6 and BALB/c). Tuberculosis (Edinb). 89 Suppl 1: S49-54, 2009.
Shen-An Hwang, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
(713) 500 - 5265
1999 Trinity University, B.S.- Biochemistry
2006 The University of Texas Medical School at Houston - Ph.D., M.S.Molecular Pathology
2009 Postdoctoral Fellow - Immunopathology
Development of novel adjuvants to improve current and future vaccine efficacy in an effort to eliminate infectious diseases that pose serious threats to global human health. Her current interest is in developing lactoferrin as an effective adjuvant that can be incorporated or admixed into the existing tuberculosis vaccine (BCG) to promote effective T-cell immunity that would protect the host against subsequent tuberculosis disease. Her research has shown that lactoferrin possesses adjuvant activity, by modulating macrophage and dendritic cell maturation, activation, and T-cell stimulating actions.