- Education / Training
- Residency Program
- Fellowship Programs
- Medical Students
- Graduate Students
- Clinical Services
- Faculty / Staff
- Intranet / IT
TMC and Institutions
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) is the largest cluster of medical and health institutions in the world and is the largest group employer in Houston. More than 5 million patient visits are recorded annually. It was founded in the 1940's and developed on a site purchased from the city of Houston. The TMC now comprises over 740 acres of land with a comprehensive medical complex of 42 institutions, including 2 medical schools, 13 hospitals, and more than 6000 beds. It is an international center for patient referral and health professions training. The Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library is a valuable resource serving the needs of the medical community both locally and within a 5-state region.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School is one of six schools, along with several interdisciplinary centers, institutes, and programs, comprising UTHealth. The Medical School was established by the Texas Legislature in June 1969 as the fourth public school of medicine in The University of Texas System. Researchers, clinicians, epidemiologists, and basic scientists all gain from the collaborative environment, facilities, collective resources and expertise within the health science center. The Medical School's eighteen clinical departments provide a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services. The school's Affiliated Residency Training Programs represent over twenty specialties and subspecialties and train over 750 residents annually. The medical school has M.D., M.D./Ph.D., M.D./M.P.H., M.D./O.M.S., and master's in clinical research degree programs.
Our residents benefit from the diverse training received at four TMC hospitals, one hospital outside of the TMC, and the county medical examiner’s office.
Memorial Hermann -TMC (MHH-TMC): Memorial Hermann -Texas Medical Center is a private, teaching, not-for-profit hospital established in 1925 which currently serves as the primary teaching facility of the medical school. It was the first institution built on what is now the Texas Medical Center. Named after George Hermann, who left it as a part of a trust, the hospital overlooks Hermann Park, also part of the Hermann Estate. MHH is one of only two Level I Trauma Centers in Houston and offers many specialized services including the Burn Center, the Children's Hospital, the President Bush Center for Cardiovascular Health, the Transplant Center, and Life Flight (helicopter ambulance), to name only a few. Memorial Hermann currently has over 680 beds and numerous intensive care units and has undergone major expansions in both inpatient and outpatient facilities over the past few years. The medical school Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine provides all pathology services for the hospital, including autopsies, laboratory analyses, surgical pathology and cytopathology interpretations, bone marrow aspiration procedures, and blood bank services.
Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital (LBJGH): The Lyndon Baines Johnson General Hospital, a full-service general hospital located on Houston's northeast side, opened in 1989. It is owned and operated by the Harris County Hospital District and staffed by UTHealth physicians. This teaching hospital, known for its commitment to excellence in obstetric, neonatal, and oncologic care, allows expansion of the school's educational, research and clinical programs. Its volume of public patients with a wide variety of diseases provides experiences complementary to those encountered in private inpatient settings.
St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital (SLEH): St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, located within the Texas Medical Center, was founded in 1954. This private hospital is affiliated with the Texas Heart Institute, an international referral center for cardiac disease and operations on the lung and esophagus. Residents benefit from the large and varied caseload and the opportunity to witness the practice of pathology in the private setting.
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC): The M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, established in 1941 to serve Texans with cancer, is part of The University of Texas System and was the first member institution in the Texas Medical Center. Its activities in cancer care, research, and education of health care professionals and the public are recognized worldwide, and it is continually ranked as one of the top U.S. hospitals for the treatment of cancer. Over 50,000 surgical cases are examined annually, many as challenging referrals from outside instititions. Residents may rotate in surgical pathology, cytopathology, hematopathology and other subspecialty areas. The teaching conferences, interaction with attending pathologists, case material, and research opportunities are outstanding additions to the training program.
Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences (HCIFS): The citizens of Houston are served by the dedicated forensics experts at the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences (formerly known as the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office). While rotating here, residents gain experience and insight as active participants in investigations into the cause and manner of death.
The Methodist Hospital (TMH): The Methodist Hospital is a private, nonprofit institution located within the Texas Medical Center. Many medical school residents choose to rotate through TMH’s pathology department to supplement their training.