Highlights of the Century Health Study
- Male or female patients age 40 or above with a history of stable CAD (coronary artery disease) or 2-3 risk factors for coronary artery disease are eligible to participate
- The study will take place over 5 years and will compare 2 strategies for treating heart disease; both involve lifestyle change and medications.
- Special imaging of the heart called Positron Emission Tomography (P.E.T.) will be done on all patients to test whether it guides their treatment more effectively.
- Patients should be able to exercise and a treadmill test will be done for those who have not had one recently.
- Patients are randomly assigned to one of two Groups, for simplicity we call them
- STARS (Standard Optimal Care Group) or STRIPES (P.E.T.- guided Intense care group)
- All P.E.T. imaging, exercise testing, and study visits are done at no cost to patient
- Continuing communication is provided for support of patients’ primary physician in ongoing patient care.