Ying Liu, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, The Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery
|Visit my research page|
Education & Training
- Undergraduate and Medical Degrees:
Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
- Doctor of Philosophy, Neurobiology and Anatomy
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health
My research focuses on using human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) to model central nervous system (CNS) development and diseases. Specifically, by differentiating and genetically manipulating hESCs and iPSCs, I am trying to dissect the developmental pathways and the corresponding pathogenesis in the glial lineage. My long-term goal is to identify therapeutic targets for the treatment of CNS injury and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Liu, Y, Virshup, DM, White, RL, and Hsu, LC. (2002). Regulation of BRCA1 phosphorylation by interaction with protein phosphatase 1alpha. Cancer Res 62, 6357-6361.
- Liu, Y, Wu, Y, Lee, JC, Xue, H, Pevny, LH, Kaprielian, Z, and Rao, MS. (2002). Oligodendrocyte and astrocyte development in rodents: an in situ and immunohistological analysis during embryonic development. Glia 40, 25-43.
- Liu, Y, and Rao, M. (2003). Oligodendrocytes, GRPs and MNOPs. Trends Neurosci 26, 410-412.
- Liu, Y, and Rao, MS. (2003). Transdifferentiation--fact or artifact. J Cell Biochem 88, 29-40.
- Wu, Y, Liu, Y, Levine, EM, and Rao, MS. (2003). Hes1 but not Hes5 regulates an astrocyte versus oligodendrocyte fate choice in glial restricted precursors. Dev Dyn 226, 675-689.
- Han, SS, Liu, Y, Tyler-Polsz, C, Rao, MS, and Fischer, I (2004). Transplantation of glial-restricted precursor cells into the adult spinal cord: survival, glial-specific differentiation, and preferential migration in white matter. Glia 45, 1-16.
- Liu, Y, Han, SS, Wu, Y, Tuohy, TM, Xue, H, Cai, J, Back, SA, Sherman, LS, Fischer, I, and Rao, MS. (2004). CD44 expression identifies astrocyte-restricted precursor cells. Dev Biol 276, 31-46.
- Liu, Y, and Rao, MS. (2004). Glial progenitors in the CNS and possible lineage relationships among them. Biol Cell 96, 279-290.
- Liu, Y, and Rao, MS. (2004). Olig genes are expressed in a heterogeneous population of precursor cells in the developing spinal cord. Glia 45, 67-74.
- Back, SA, Tuohy, TM, Chen, H, Wallingford, N, Craig, A, Struve, J, Luo, N L, Banine, F, Liu, Y, Chang, A, Trapp, BD, Bebo, BF, Jr, Rao, MS, and Sherman, LS. (2005). Hyaluronan accumulates in demyelinated lesions and inhibits oligodendrocyte progenitor maturation. Nat Med 11, 966-972.
- Maitra, A, Arking, DE, Shivapurkar, N, Ikeda, M, Stastny, V, Kassauei, K, Sui, G, Cutler, DJ, Liu, Y, Brimble, SN, Noaksson, K, Hyllner, J, Schulz, TC, Zeng, X, Freed, WJ, Crook, J, Abraham, S, Colman, A, Sartipy, P, Matsui, S, Carpenter, M, Gazdar, AF, Rao, M, and Chakravarti, A (2005). Genomic alterations in cultured human embryonic stem cells. Nat Genet 37, 1099-1103.
- Liu, Y, Shin, S, Zeng, X, Zhan, M, Gonzalez, R, Mueller, FJ, Schwartz, CM, Xue, H, Li, H, Baker, SC, Chudin, E, Barker, DL, McDaniel, TK, Oeser, S., Loring, JF, Mattson, MP, and Rao, MS. (2006). Genome wide profiling of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), their derivatives and embryonal carcinoma cells to develop base profiles of U.S. Federal government approved hESC lines. BMC Dev Biol 6, 20.
- Li, H*, Liu, Y*, Shin, S, Sun, Y, Loring, JF, Mattson, MP, Rao, MS, and Zhan, M. (2006). Transcriptome coexpression map of human embryonic stem cells. BMC Genomics 7, 103. (* Equal contribution)
- Shin, S, Sun, Y, Liu, Y, Khaner, H, Svant, S, Cai, J, Xu, QX, Davidson, BP, Stice, SL, Smith, AK, Goldman, SA, Reubinoff, BE, Zhan, M, Rao, MS, and Chesnut, JD. (2007). Whole genome analysis of human neural stem cells derived from embryonic stem cells and stem and progenitor cells isolated from fetal tissue. Stem Cells 25, 1298-1306.
- Sun, Y, Li, H, Liu, Y, Shin, S, Mattson, MP, Rao, MS, and Zhan, M. (2007). Cross-species transcriptional profiles establish a functional portrait of embryonic stem cells. Genomics 89, 22-35.
- Thyagarajan, B, Liu, Y, Shin, S, Lakshmipathy, U, Scheyhing, K, Xue, H, Ellerstrom, C, Strehl, R, Hyllner, J, Rao, MS, and Chesnut, JD. (2008). Creation of engineered human embryonic stem cell lines using phiC31 integrase. Stem Cells 26, 119-126.
- Campanelli, JT, Sandrock, RW, Wheatley, W, Xue, H, Zheng, J, Liang, F, Chesnut, JD, Zhan, M, Rao, M. S, and Liu, Y. (2008). Expression profiling of human glial precursors. BMC Dev Biol 8, 102.
- Liu, Y, Thyagarajan, B, Lakshmipathy, U, Xue, H, Lieu, P, Fontes, A, MacArthur, CC, Scheyhing, K, Rao, MS, and Chesnut, JD. (2009). Generation of a platform human embryonic stem cell line that allows efficient targeting at a predetermined genomic location. Stem Cells Dev 18, 1459-1472
- Xue, H, Wu, S, Papadeas, S, Spusta, S, Swistowska, AM, MacArthur, CC, Mattson, MP, Maragakis, NJ, Capecchi, M, Rao, MS, Zeng, X, and Liu, Y. (2009). A targeted neuroglial reporter line generated by homologous recombination in human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells, 27, 1836-1846
- Liu, Y*, Jiang, P, and Deng, W*. (2011) Olig gene targeting in human pluripotent stem cells for motor neuron and oligodendrocyte differentiation. Nat Prot. 6, 640-655. (*Co-corresponding author)
- Liu, Y, Lakshmipathy, U, Ozgenc, A, Thyagarajan, B, Lieu, P, Fontes, A, Xue, H, Scheyhing, K, MacArthur C, Chesnut, JD. (2010) hESC engineering by integrase-mediated chromosomal targeting. Methods Mol Biol. 584:229-68.
- Liu, Y, Rao, M. (2011) Gene targeting in human pluripotent stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 767:355-367.
- MacArthur, CC, Xue, H, Van Hoof, D, Lieu, P, Dudas, M, Fontes, A, Swistowski, A, Touboul, T, Seerke, R, Laurent, LC, Loring, JF, German, MS, Zeng X, Rao, MS, Lakshmipathy, U, Chesnut, JD, and Liu, Y. (2012). Chromatin insulator elements block transgene silencing in engineered human embryonic stem cell lines at a defined chromosome 13 locus. Stem Cells Dev. 21: 191-205 [Epub ahead of print 2011 Aug 4]