The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Suzanne Lopez, MD, FAAP
MD: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Residency (Pediatrics): The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Fellowship (Neonatology): The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Surfactant therapies (administration, timing, indications, types)
- Palliative care in the NICU
- Graduate medical education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Ramanathan R, Rasmussen MR, Gerstmann DR, Finer N, Sekar K and the North American Study Group*. A randomized, multicenter masked comparison trial of Poractant Alfa (Curosurf) versus Beractant (Survanta) in the treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in Preterm Infants. Am J of Perinat. 2004 21:109-119 (* Lopez S, Participating Site PI of North American Study Group)
- Hankins GD, Koen S, Gei AF, Lopez SM, VanHook, JW and Anderson GD. Prevalence of organ system injury in acute birth asphyxia sufficient to result in neonatal encephalopathy. Obstet Gynecol. 2002 May: 99 (5 Pt. 1) 688-91.
- Koen S, Gei A, Lopez S, Van Hook J, Anderson G and Hankins G. 2000. Prevalence of organ system injury in acute birth asphyxia Presentation at Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Reno, NV, February, 2001.
- Kattwinkel J, Bloom B, Glick C, Brown D, Lopez S, Willett L, Conway M, and Patric J. 2000. High versus low threshold surfactant re-treatment for neonatal RDS. Pediatrics 106:282-288.
- Rowen JL and Lopez SM. 1998. Morganella morganni early onset sepsis.Pediatric Inf. Dis. J 17:1176-1177.
- Kattwinkel J, Bloom BT, Delmore P, Glick C, Brown D, Lopez S, Willett L. 1998. High-vs. low-threshold surfactant re-treatment for neonatal RDS. Pediat Res 1039: 179A. Platform presentation at the Annual Meeting of The Society for Pediatric Research, May, 1998.
- Chedda S, Lopez S, Sanders E. 1997. Congenital Brucellosis in a Premature Infant. Pediatric Inf Dis Jour 16:81-83.
- James NT, Nichols MM, Sapire DW, DiPatre PL, Lopez SM. 1996. Complete heart block and fatal right ventricular failure in an infant. Clinicopathologic conference describing massive apoptosis selectively destroying the entire right ventricle and the His bundle in an infant with complete heart block: Significance for understanding the pathogenesis of Uhl's anomaly in arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia. Circulation 93:1588-1600.
- Lopez SM and Rassin DK. 1995. Brain large neutral amino acids and catecholamines in parenterally nourished preterm rabbits. Int. J. Develop Neurosci 13:619-626.
- Lopez SM and Rassin DK. 1994. Effects of cysteine supplementation on hepatic sulfur amino acid metabolism in parenterally nourished rabbit kits Pediatr Res 35:316A. Presented the Society for Pediatric Research, Seattle, WA, May, 1994
- Lopez SM and Rassin DK. 1993. Brain catecholamines fail to reflect tyrosine deficiency with total parenteral nutrition. Pediatr Res 33:307A. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Pediatric Research, Washington, DC, May, 1993
- Lopez SM and Rassin DK. 1992. Brain catecholamines in the parenterally nourished neonatal rabbit. Clin Res 40:835A. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Society for Pediatric Research, January, 1992, New Orleans, LA.
- Rassin DK and Lopez SM. 1992. The effect of parenteral nutrition on brain amino acids in the premature rabbit kit. Int J Develop Neurosci 10 (Suppl 1):95. Presented at the 9th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Developmental Neuroscience, La Grande Motte, France, June, 1992.
- Lopez SM and Rassin DK. 1992. Growth and plasma amino acids in parenterally fed rabbit kits with cysteine supplementation. Clin Res 39:802A. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Society for Pediatric Research, January, 1992, New Orleans, LA.
- Lopez SM, Morvant EM, Rassin GM, McCormick DP, Niebuhr VM. 1990. Management of pregnant adolescents in school: A comparison of two programs. Clin Res 38:38A. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Society for Pediatric Research, January, 1990, New Orleans, LA
- Richardson CJ, Malloy MH, Rhoads GG, Lopez SM. 1989. A case control study of the association of high umbilical catheters and intraventricular hemorrhages Pediatr Res 25:260A. Presented at Annual Meeting of the Society for Pediatric Research, May, 1989, Washington, DC.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Suzanne Lopez, MD, FAAP
- Department of Pediatrics
- Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Director, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship Program
- Medical Director, Neonatal Nurse Practitioners
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 3.242
Houston, Texas 77030
- phone: (713) 500-5284
e-mail: Suzanne.M.Lopez@ uth.tmc.edu
- Executive Assistant:
- Kimberly Bibbs | (713) 500-5727