The Department of Emergency Medicine Residency Program at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of urgent and emergent patients of all ages.
EM 2 Rotations
Shifts in the ED each month for residents are divided approximately 45% trauma/medicine shifts, 45% general medicine shifts, and 10% pediatric shifts. These are approximate estimates, as traumatic vs. medical vs. pediatric patient presentations may be seen in any part of the ED.
- EM Critical Care: The EM 2 resident spends one month in the ED at LBJ General Hospital focusing on ED critical care. A critical care curriculum has been developed by our EM/IM/Critical Care boarded faculty to augment the experience of taking care of the sickest patients.
- Pediatric ED at Texas Children’s Hospital: The resident participates as an EM 2 in the largest children’s hospital in the world with one of the busiest Pediatric EDs in the country with 85,000 patient visits per year. Direct supervision is by Pediatric EM faculty and fellows.
- Shock Trauma ICU (STICU): The EM 2 resident gains extensive experience managing critically ill trauma patients while working with Surgery Critical Care fellows and attendings.
- Elective month (see options below)
- Five ED months are spent at MHH and three months at LBJ General Hospital which involve progressive responsibility, resuscitation management, and introduction to the supervision of medical students.
- Resident teaching requirements involve one 30 minute core topic presentation during the course of the EM 2 year. The resident may supervise medical students during their EM rotation and participate in medical student focused teaching sessions.
EM 2 Resident Electives
- EMS/Life Flight
- Toxicology at the Regional Poison Center, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston
- Advanced Emergency Ultrasound
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Research month
- Global Health
- Other rotations considered upon request
Location & Contact
1133 John Freeman Blvd,
JJL 4TH Floor
Houston, Texas 77030