The Department of Emergency Medicine Residency Program at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of urgent and emergent patients of all ages.
EM 3 Rotations
Shifts in the ED each month for residents are divided approximately 45% trauma/medicine shifts, 45% general medicine shifts, and 10% pediatric shifts. These are approximate estimates, as traumatic vs. medical vs. pediatric patient presentations may be seen in any part of the ED.
- Pediatric ICU (PICU): The PICU allows the resident to manage critically ill pediatric patients, both traumatic and medical, with direct supervision by PICU faculty and fellows.
- NeuroTrauma ICU (NTICU): In the NTICU, the resident manages critically ill neurosurgical patients 1:1 with critical care faculty.
- Elective month (see options below)
- Community ED month at Memorial Hermann - Memorial City: The senior resident works in a community ED setting in northwest Houston with board certified Emergency Medicine faculty. The resident gains additional experience with efficiency and patient care in a setting different from the primary residency training site.
- Four and a half ED months are spent at Memorial Hermann-TMC involving principles of ED management as a whole, progressive responsibility in supervising medical students and junior residents, and a focus on advanced principles of patient and departmental management. Three and a half ED months are spent at LBJ General Hospital.
- Resident teaching requirements involve one 60 minute grand rounds presentation during the course of the EM 3 year. The resident will supervise medical students during their EM rotation and participate in medical student focused teaching sessions.
EM 3 Resident Electives
- EMS/Life Flight
- Toxicology at the Regional Poison Center, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston
- Advanced Emergency Ultrasound
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Research month
- Teaching rotation
- Global Health
- Other rotations considered upon request
Location & Contact
1133 John Freeman Blvd,
JJL 4TH Floor
Houston, Texas 77030