UT-Harris County Psychiatric Center
Harris County Psychiatric Center: Office Administration
To maintain a safe and constructive milieu, patients are not allowed to bring certain items on the unit. Patients who have difficulty complying with this unit requirement may be put on Contraband Precautions
contraband, precautions, adolescent unit, restricted items
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Date of Last Review: 05/2012
SME: Chief Nursing Officer
To maintain a safe and constructive milieu, patients are not allowed to bring certain items on the unit. Patients who have difficulty complying with this unit requirement may be put on Contraband Precautions.
A Contraband Precaution is a treatment modality used to monitor and assist the patient in bringing into compliance the requirements of the adolescent unit. A patient found with contraband may be placed on contraband precautions.
An R.N. may write an order for contraband precautions. A physician's signature for the order must be obtained within 24 hours of the written order.
Documentation in the progress notes must describe the specific behavior necessitating the precautions.
Patients can attend activities, but may undergo a body review after an outside activity with a physician's order. All patients placed on contraband precautions will undergo a body review after family meetings and/or family visits. A physician's order must be obtained for the body review.
Contraband precautions are assessed daily by the treatment team.
Daily progress notes reflect the need for remaining on contraband precautions.
The following items are considered Restricted Items on Adolescent Units:
· Any clothing over 3 changes of day wear and 2 changes of night wear
· Boots, spiked or hard-sole/steel toes shoes
· Belts of any kind
· Soda in aluminum cans or glass bottles
· Aerosol cans/plastic bags
· Caustic or poisonous substance
· Any substance containing alcohol
· Knives/weapons of any type
· Clothing with drawstrings and wire
· Glass items of any kind including containers, picture frames or mirrors
· Razors, scissors, files, wires, or clippers
· Suitcases, backpacks, purses, spiral notebooks
· Cameras, tape recorder or radios
· Any electrical appliances
· Lighters, matches or any burning material
· Medications or vitamins (prescribed/non-prescribed)
· Cell phones
· No cigarette lighters or matches
· No long handled comb or brush
** Stuffed animals & hardback books may be brought to the unit at the nurse/doctors discretion/order.