Health Promotion and Education
To assess, plan, implement, and evaluate preventive disease and injury services and programs for staff at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
The Office of Health Promotion and Health Education is funded by The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. It is part of the University of Texas School of Nursing at Houston and is located in University Center Tower. Public health and medical concerns addressed by this office include:
- Smoking cessation
- Nutrition (diet practices)
- Medical nutrition therapy: weight management, diabetes, cancer prevention, and healthy heart
- Physical activity
- Prevention of occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens
- Violence prevention
- Prevention of back injuries
- Women's health issues
- Injury and illness among child care workers
- Printed health education materials
- Minimal interventions for primary care providers on smoking cessation, weight control and physical activity
The office precepts students at The University of Texas School of Public Health at Houston, Texas Woman's University-Houston campus and the University of Houston.
Karen Calabro, MS, RD, LD, MPH, CHES, is coordinator of Health Promotion and Health Education and works at UT-Health Services on a part-time basis.
Other health related links
|American Cancer Society||American Dietetic Association|
|5 A Day Web Site||Shape Up America|
|National Cancer Institute||American Heart Association|
For more information call Karen Calabro at (713) 500-3267.